Jerrybitesforever

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jerrybitesforever

Jerry Your forum bites

2 posters

2011 Oscar season

Jolly Johnny
    Jolly Johnny

2011 Oscar season Empty 2011 Oscar season

Post  Jolly Johnny Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:21 am

Is upon us. Movies to look out for:

Moneyball
    Red Tails
    War Horse
    J. Edgar Hoover
    Shame
    A Dangerous Method
    Drive
    Ides of March
    Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    My Week with Marilyn
    Jolly Johnny
    Jolly Johnny

2011 Oscar season Empty Re: 2011 Oscar season

Post  Jolly Johnny Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 am

Looking at them in more detail and adding other movies.

Moneyball--Sports movie with Brad Pitt. Inspirational sports movies always win awards, and when you add in Brad Pitt it's a surefire. How good the actual movie will be is still in question.

Warrior - MMA movie with Tom Hardy and that dude from animal crossing. Could be good, and its an inspirational sports movie. I don't know though, looks like an exact copy of the Fighter, except its MMA.

The Rum Diary - This movie could be very good. A sort of in spirit sequel to the 1998 monumental indie hipster/stoner film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Johnny Depp returns to the world of Hunter S. Thompson, this time taking on an aged version of Thompson's psyche just trying to get by in the late 50s.

Red Tails - Story of the African American air pilots in World War 2. Has been in development for 5 years and is the feature film debut of the Wire director Anthony Hemingway. It is produced by Lucasfilm and features special effects by George Lucas.

War Horse - Story about a horse in World War I. Based upon a play and directed by Spielberg. COULD be good.

A Dangerous Method - Finally Cronenburg is back, this time taking us to a place of perverted sexuality. Viggo Mortensen plays Sigmund Freud and Michael Fassbender plays Carl Jung. Kierra Knightley plays Jung's submissive patient, and we get to see Vincent "go home and touch yourself" Cassel play a pervert, again.

Shame - Steve McQueen's second movie after the brilliant 2008 film Hunger, which helped launch the career of Michael Fassbender. Here Fassbender reunites with McQueen (who is named after the legendary actor but shares no relation) for a story about a sex addict who views women as objects. That is about to change when his sister (Carey Mulligan) moves into his apartment.

J Edgar Hoover - Leonardo Dicaprio has wanted an oscar for a long time, but has yet to receive one. It may happen this year, as he stars in this Clint Eastwood biopic of the founder of the FBI. Should be very good.

Drive - While the Oscars do tend to shy away from action films, I do think Drive will at least get a nod after it finally comes out, considering it already won several awards at Cannes.

Ides of March - The Academy loves directors who are also actors, and given this is George Clooney's directoral debut, I'd be surprised if it doesnt win SOMETHING.

Girl with the Dragon Tatoo - While the swedish adaptation went for straight and to the point, I have a feeling the American one will be highly stylized. I also expect Trent Reznor to be again nominated for best score.

My Week with Marilyn - God this sounds so boring. It'll probably win a bunch of shit too, just like King's Speech did.

Wesside
    Wesside
    Admin

Post  Wesside Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm

I have not heard of any of these movies that's pretty bad if I never even saw an add for them
    Wesside
    Wesside
    Admin

Post  Wesside Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm

scratch that 3 I have
    Jolly Johnny
    Jolly Johnny

Post  Jolly Johnny Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:21 am

And the ones you have heard of are the ones probably least likely to win anything.

I think I'm the only person I know who tries to watch all the movies nominated for Oscars before the Oscars.

Last year the only movie nominated that I didn't watch in theatres or on video won best picture, just to spite me.

Goddamn you Oscars.
    Jolly Johnny
    Jolly Johnny

Post  Jolly Johnny Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:39 am

Also I think I may have forgotten to include Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. As the title suggests it's a spy film with an impressive cast headlined by Gary Oldman. It also stars Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch and Toby Jones. It's directed by the swedish director of Let the Right One In. It's like they got every other good british actor in it haha.

Jolly Johnny
    Jolly Johnny

Post  Jolly Johnny Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Big Butt Book Brett Ratner is no longer producing the oscars, and Eddie Murphy has stepped down as host. Which means the hosting has opened back up. Good, here's a list of people I think they should get to host the Oscars:

Dave Chappelle (haha never gonna happen but it would be awesome)
    Louis C.K.
    Steve Carrel
    Stephen Colbert
    Conan O Brian
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Donald Glover (even less likely lol)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm